The Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario leadership race is over. Doug Ford won the race over Christine Elliot by the slimmest of margin in the four candidates contest. Tanya Granic Allen (Tanya) was instrumental in pushing Doug Ford over the 50% mark in the “Preferential Ballot” system.
At the first ballot, Tanya was eliminated by virtual of the lowest number of first place votes. Tanya finished last with 15.3 per cent of points, with Mulroney at 17.2 per cent, Ford at 33.4 per cent and Elliott at 34.1 per cent. When Tanya was eliminated, about 83 per cent of her points were re-distributed to Ford, allowing him to move ahead of Elliott on the second ballot with 46.1 per cent of points to 35.8 per cent for Elliott. This means that 83 percent of those who voted for Tanya as their first choice also selected Doug Ford as a second choice.
Only 11 per cent of Tanya's points went to Elliott and just six per cent to Caroline Mulroney. Mulroney's elimination after the second ballot delivered 75 per cent of her points to Christine Elliott, with the remaining 25 per cent going to Ford. That was just what Ford needed to go over the 50% support necessary to win. Had Elliott won about 78 per cent of Mulroney's supporters, Christine would have won the race instead.
Later that evening, Doug Ford was announced the winner after everyone was sent home from the meeting. Tanya was the only candidate to stand next to Ford when he made his speech as the new leader. Both Mulroney and Elliot left the building earlier and Elliot did not concede until the next day. It is evident that Tanya is a very important part of Ford's success and she will play a major role on his team. So who is Tanya Granic Allen and what did she bring to the race?
I first saw Tanya's performance at the meeting with reporters after the first leadership debate. I was impressed with her charisma and control of the flow throughout the meeting with the aggressive reporters. After I made some initial searches and inquiries, I came to the conclusion that she is a smart and articulate spokesperson for social conservatives. I immediately assess her potentials and directions, realizing that she will be just what Doug Ford needs to achieve a victory.
Tanya Granic Allen, 37, is a social conservative parental rights activist and the president of Parents As First Educators (PAFE), a group that opposes the province's new sex education curriculum. She also sits on the board of the Catholic Civil Rights League, a conservative Catholic lobby and advocacy group. Tanya graduated with a degree in politics from Western University, where she was active with the school's campus conservatives. She previously worked as a political staffer at Toronto City Hall for then Toronto City Councillor John Parker, and as a spokesperson for the Campaign Life Coalition.
Tanya opposes abortion and also supported repealing and replacing the Liberal government's new sex education curriculum. Her children are home-schooled not just because of her opposition to the sex education curriculum but also because she didn't have confidence in the education system in general under Premier Kathleen Wynne's Liberal government.
Even though she's never run for office before, Tanya says she was not intimidated by the pressure or public speaking that came with it. Tanya's entry in the race "shone a light" on the sex education issue and challenged the other candidates to state their positions. Ford was the first to say he would revise the curriculum. Elliott said she was open to it, while Mulroney said she would leave it alone.
有传言说，艾伦将参加剑桥选区的保守党议员候选人的竞选。 但她一口否定了这一传说，并称这是个“假新闻”。 如果艾伦能在6月份赢得安省议员席位，且保守党赢得大选的话，她应该会被福特招进内阁。 选民们如果能在草根阶层发掘出这样一个有政治素养的人的确会让目前的政治舞台耳目一新。 艾伦应该是选民们在6月安省大选中留意的名字。
There was a rumor that Tanya will become a nominee in the riding of Cambridge. This was subsequently denied by her and she labeled that as “fake-news”. If Tanya can win a seat as a MPP in June and the PC's can topple the Liberal government, she should be cabinet material for a Ford government. It is very refreshing for voters to find such a quality candidate from the grassroots movements within the political arena. Tanya Granic Allen is a name to be remembered in the coming election.
我们鼓励所有读者在我们的文章和博客上分享意见。We are committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion, so we ask you to avoid personal attacks, and please keep your comments relevant and respectful. Visit the FAQ page for more information.